Russian President Vladimir Putin on Monday declared a three-day ceasefire in the war with Ukraine next month to mark the 80th anniversary of the victory of the Soviet Union and its allies in World War II.
The Kremlin said the 72-hour ceasefire would run from the start of May 8 to the end of May 10.
"All military actions are suspended for this period. Russia believes that the Ukrainian side should follow this example," it said in a statement. "In the event of violations by the Ukrainian side, Russia's armed forces will give an adequate and effective response."
There was no immediate response from Kyiv to the unilateral truce announcement - the second by Putin in quick succession, following a 30-hour Easter ceasefire that each side accused the other of violating countless times.
Against a background of increasing impatience from the United States, both moves appeared aimed by the Kremlin leader at signalling to US President Donald Trump that Russia is still interested in peace. Ukraine and its European allies say they do not believe this.
The latest announcement came after Trump criticised Putin for a deadly Russian attack on Kyiv last week and voiced concern at the weekend that Putin was "just tapping me along".
Washington has repeatedly threatened to abandon its peace efforts unless there is real progress.
At least six people have died in an incident police suspect was triggered by a falling electricity pole that alarmed a crowd of worshippers at a temple in India's eastern state of Bihar, officials said on Monday.
Donald Trump's envoys met with Egyptian, Qatari and Turkish mediators in Cairo on Sunday, a diplomatic source said, in a bid to advance the US president's Gaza peace plan, even as Israel pressed on with airstrikes in the enclave.
The Ebola outbreak in Democratic Republic of Congo has killed 2,325 people, government data showed on Sunday, surpassing the toll from the 2018-2020 outbreak to become the deadliest in the country's history.
A landslide in South Korea has killed one person and injured three, media reports said on Monday, as heavy rainfall lashed the country's southern region.
Twelve people have been killed and at least 10 injured after a Polish bus overturned at night on a motorway in eastern Hungary, Hungarian Prime Minister Peter Magyar said on Sunday morning in a Facebook post.